Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Bad Bad Day

So my cat had been missing for several days, and I thought that since she was so old that she had died somewhere.  Until I had heard from one of the neighborhood kids that one of the parents had been trapping cats because they "p" in his backyard?!  So on an afterthought I went down to the VOSPCA to see, not expecting much.  

I filled out a gaggle of information just to get to the "cat house" (ha ha), which is really just an old trailer.  I was perusing the cages saddened by the sheer amount of cats and kittens, there were tons of them.  When I heard the familiar deep meow of my cat Calico, I was dumb founded and burst into tears, she rubbed her head against the cage and I tried to pet her with my finger through the bars and reassured her (well, more me) that I will be right back.  
 
I trotted back to the office to tell them the good news.... and to get my kitty.  The lady smiled lightly, obviously nowhere near as excited as I was, come to think of it as any animal "liker" would be, which you would hope would be some sort of pre-requisite at this organization.    So she asked some more questions, and printed some stuff and walked up to the counter and said, the total cost is $74!   What?  Cost?  

She went on, stiffly, saying that there was a boarding fee, a penalty fee, a shelter fee, a licensing fee... First of all what licensing fee, aren't cats free roaming animals; as it turns out it is a city fee that has been around for a while.. funny how since I never got a notice that a license on my cat was due.... just like all the other animals I have adopted over the years from the VOSPCA, why wasn't I notified?  

I burst into more tears and freaked out thinking how is my budget going to handle this, there was no offer of any help at all, and not a shred a compassion from this women.  I freaked out thinking how in the hell, am I going to be able to walk out these doors and leave my cat behind, the whole family will be upset about it, including my 8 year old.  At first I was real angry at the neighbor for doing this to me, which the women was kind enough to repeat a few times that it was within his rights to trap this cat and bring it in.  But I ask you what about my rights, it's not like I can keep this cat from jumping a fence, like a dog.  Granted she is an inside cat about 90% of the time but still she needs the fresh air.  

And guess what even if her breakaway safety collar that has her info on it and/or license, comes off you will still be penalized.  Oh yeah even if she is chipped and or licensed it still would have cost me a ton of fees to get her back to the tune of $58, so what is the point here really.  So that would mean each time the neighbor catches her, I could pay up to $40 per incident to rescue my cat, and that is if they can get a hold of me after only one day.  

I can justify these fees with dogs, I have had dogs if your fence is good, they won't get out.  But a cat, and especially since this is the first time I have ever had to pick up a lost animal ever and we have been adopting from VOSPCA for over 15 years if I am remembering accurately 

Most of them she pointed out were city fees,  so I asked her who I can talk to at the city..... after a brief moment she said "well I don't know the name of the person"  that's okay, what about the department I can talk to anyone about this, maybe get some of the fees removed...  again she said "I don't know the number"   Now I am getting frustrated because her actions and answers make me feel like she is being evasive, does she not want me to talk to the city.  So what is the name of the department, I can find the number myself... "I don't know... maybe animal welfare"  You collect fees for the city and you don't know where you send the check to.  I was on fire at this moment, because either they have hired an office manager who truly has no idea what is going on other than processing checks, and filling out lost animal and adoption reports, or there is something else entirely going on. 

oh and by the way "tomorrow is the last day because she has been here for several days"  I panicked, and I assured her that somehow I was going to get the money and for nobody to touch my cat!  I finally was able to get my kitty, and get her home, she follows us all around the house meowing constantly and  is nearly frustrated when we are all not in the same room.  

I still can't stop thinking about this whole thing.  When I called the city, I was transferred to many offices who not only do not have any idea if there is an animal welfare department, they don't even know where the money goes.  The best answer I have gotten thus far was from a nice gentleman, is that it is suspected that the VOSPCA keeps the money for their services to the city. But no one know where to get a copy of the contract to even look at it.  Why was she so evasive with her answers, why doesn't anyone know what is going on with this relationship the city has with this group.  

In my frustration I have decided that the pen is mightier that a few aggravated words on the phone... phone calls are easily forgotten.  So I have a series of letters explaining in detail my dealings with this situation that will be going to the board of directors, executive director, the city or phantom department who handles animal welfare, and anyone else who might be interested in hearing about it.  

In the past I have always been a huge supporter and advocate of the VOSPCA, but after this experience I am just not so sure.  I have found that there are other groups, shelters, and animal advocacy's in this area that I will support instead.

1 comment:

Lisha Hunnicutt said...

What a pain in the neck!!! Maybe you should go have a discussion with your neighbor. Does he / she have some pet you can trap and take down to the SPCA? I hope you have some luck with your letter writing. It sounds like typical government run-around to me. I think the lady has to give out that kind of information - it seems like that is public info. Good luck with all that.

Labels

.cwk (1) 5 alarm (1) abuse (1) adoption (1) alfred hitchcock (1) Alzheimer's (1) appleworks (1) art (3) art council (1) art gallery (3) art in visalia (9) art show (3) art trail (1) art visalia (3) artist (2) arts (1) asparagus fern (1) babies (1) bacon gravy (1) bad day (1) bad food (1) barbecue (1) barbecue stress (1) Barbie (1) bbq (1) bbq stress (1) birds (1) biscuits and gravy (1) BJ's Country Kitchen (1) BJ's Kountry Kitchen (1) blog (2) blogs (2) bought a house (1) breast cancer (2) budget (1) buy it real estate (1) cancer (1) carrie and dale (1) cash (1) cash for clunkers (2) cat (2) cat box (1) cat litter (1) cats (2) Chachies Mango and Peach salsa (1) cheap planter (1) chess (1) chessboard (1) chicken (1) chicken salad recipe (1) chocolate (1) christmas (3) christmas on a budget (2) christmas sales (1) church (1) church visalia (1) cleaning (2) cleaning product review (1) compost (1) confusion (1) contemporary style (1) conversion (1) convert .cwk to .doc (1) convet .cwk to pages (1) cook (1) country gravy (1) coupons (1) craziness (1) credit card (1) credit cards (1) crockpot (1) crossroads (1) dave ramsey (15) dave ramsey christmas (2) day one (1) debt free (4) debt snowball (3) dining room (1) dinner (2) Dinner fiasco (1) dog (1) dolls (1) domestic violence (1) donations (1) drive thru diet (2) dutch modern (1) emeals (2) emealz (2) escrow (1) expressions (1) families (1) fibromyalgia (1) finances (5) financial peace (9) financial peace university (9) fishing theme (1) fixed (1) flour (1) focus (1) food (6) fresh food (3) fresh garlic (1) fresno (1) fresno restaurant review (1) friday fill in (2) frugal (2) fun (1) fun food (1) funny (1) garlic (1) get the keys (1) gift making (1) goals (1) good food (2) green cleaning products (1) gym (3) health food (1) healthy (1) healthy food visalia (1) healthy pancakes (1) hmm 364 (1) holiday (1) home school (1) homemade (2) homemade costume (1) homeschool (1) house cleaning (2) housewife (1) illness (1) in shape (3) inshape (3) inshape city (2) inshape gym (1) insurance (1) jeanine mason donation (1) jesus (1) just for fun (2) kduv (1) kduvfm (1) kentucky gravy (1) kids (2) king arthur (1) king arthur whole wheat (1) king arthur whole wheat pastry flour (1) kings mortgage (1) lack of focus (1) life crisis (1) lion (1) litter maid (1) littermaid (1) living room (1) local art (2) lose weight (3) losing weight (1) Mac (2) mac logicboard (1) mamma's gravy (1) Marine Corp (1) Marines (1) Marriage and money (1) meal planning (3) meals (3) men gifts (1) mental health month (1) mental health visalia (1) menu 4 moms (3) menu planning (5) menus (4) mexican (1) money (4) morning show (1) my favorite costumes so far this year. (1) Nancy Ortiz (1) no more credit (1) online coupons (2) optimism (1) organic food (3) Orosi (1) Osprey (1) pancakes (1) pay attention (1) photohunt submission (1) phrogs (1) pie (1) pie on a stick (1) planter (1) playing (1) positive (1) poster (1) Procrastination (1) progress (1) quiche (1) quotes (1) real country gravy (1) real estate (1) recipe (1) recycle (2) recycled planter (1) recycled potted plant (1) reuse (2) review (1) rosetta (1) run (1) save money (3) school (1) scotch brite never rust soap pads (1) scotch brite never rust soap pads review (1) sick (1) sofa art (1) sofa art visalia (1) spca (1) stained glass (1) strange potato (1) street rat crazy (1) stress (1) summer (1) summer fun (1) swim (1) syrup (1) taco bell (2) talk show (1) teach (1) teaching (1) technology (1) thanksgiving (1) thanksgiving sales (1) the best gravy ever (1) the dog ate the cake (1) treadmill (1) turkey (1) turkey prices (1) turkey visalia (1) United States Marine Corp (1) unnecessary quotes (1) unpacking (1) USMC (1) vacation (1) Vacation bible school visalia (1) vallarta supermarket visalia (1) VBS (1) visalia (24) visalia ca (7) visalia farmers market (1) visalia public works (1) visalia weight loss (1) VMM 264 (1) volunteer (1) VOSPCA (1) walgreens (1) wedding cake (1) weight loss (2) whole wheat pancakes (1) working out (1) yard waste (1) YEAH (1)